The church is a historical site which served the garrison of the nearby fort as well as the civilian population of Chambly. The Church was built in fieldstone and mortar at a cost of 1000 English pounds (building and fittings) in 1820. It is 50 x 30 feet with projecting circular chancel. Original high-backed pews with doors are still in use. Seating was extended to accommodate the garrison by altering the pew arrangement in 1833 and adding side galleries in 1839.
The stone font was donated by the troops. Although in continuous use and despite minor modifications, the church remains an outstanding example of early 19th century Canadian ecclesiastical architecture. In the quaint cemetery, inscriptions can still be deciphered on the lichened stones. The Church was restored in 1990. Every Sunday, religious services are held in the Church. The church and balcony have a capacity of 140 people.
MEMORIAL STAIN GLASS WINDOWS
In 1970, this stained-glass window was dedicated by His Most Reverend Excellency Robert Kenneth Maguire, the Bishop of Montreal, and Mrs. Nancy M. Cowen-Foss. The Memorial Fund covered the cost of this new window, which was started in 1962 by Mrs. Cowen-Foss. In the twenty years of the Fund’s existence, she was able to raise nearly 20,000 dollars, which on top of covering the cost of the new stained-glass window also was used to buy new carpets, prayer books, and pay for much-needed repairs to the church structure and the organ.
Brass Collection Plates:
These brass collection plates were donated to St-Stephens’ Anglican Church in 1959 by Mr. Edwin A.A. Cowen and his wife Edna G. Stewart. The inscription “Donated by Mr. & Mrs. Edwin A.A. Cowen” can be seen on the bottom of each plate.
The organ was built in 1854 by Mr. Samuel R. Warren and purchased through the efforts of Ward T. C. Hatt. Originally operated by a manual pump action, the organ was modified in 1923 to an electric wind supply, through a gift from the Ladies Guild.
The organ was renovated in 1954 by an English organ builder J. S. Tuttiet, in anticipation that it would give good service for many years thereafter. The entire cost of the project was met by the combined efforts of the St. Stephen's Ladies Guild and it's Montreal River Road Branch.
The organ was historically restored in the year 1995 by Denis Juget organ builder. The organ is historically recognized.
The first bell was imported from england by Sir John Johnson and presented to the Church. It bore the inscription "Isaac Tod, 1812", the year in which it was cast. This bell was later stolen from the church in the early 1980's, and another bell now stands in it's place.
The original bell subsequently has been recovered.