Church Logo

Directions to the Church
2000 Bourgogne Street
Chambly, Quebec J3L 1Z4
450-658-5882 | Email us

History & Photos

The Church | Memorial Stain Glass Windows | The Organ | The Bell | The Crypts | Randell Hall

The Church

The church is a historical site which served the garrison of the nearby fort as well as the civilian population of Chambly. The Church was built in fieldstone and mortar at a cost of 1000 English pounds (building and fittings) in 1820. It is 50 x 30 feet with projecting circular chancel. Original high-backed pews with doors are still in use. Seating was extended to accommodate the garrison by altering the pew arrangement in 1833 and adding side galleries in 1839. The stone font was donated by the troops. Although in continuous use and despite minor modifications, the church remains an outstanding example of early 19th century Canadian ecclesiastical architecture. In the quaint cemetery, inscriptions can still be deciphered on the lichened stones. The Church was restored in 1990. Every Sunday, religious services are held in the Church. The church and balcony have a capacity of 140 people.


Memorial Stain Glass Windows




The Organ

The organ was built in 1854 by Mr. Samuel R. Warren and purchased through the efforts of Ward T. C. Hatt. Originally operated by a manual pump action, the organ was modified in 1923 to an electric wind supply, through a gift from the Ladies Guild.

The organ was renovated in 1954 by an English organ builder J. S. Tuttiet, in anticipation that it would give good service for many years thereafter. The entire cost of the project was met by the combined efforts of the St. Stephen's Ladies Guild and it's Montreal River Road Branch.

The organ was historically restored in the year 1995 by Denis Juget organ builder. The organ is historically recognized.


The Bell

The first bell was imported from england by Sir John Johnson and presented to the Church. It bore the inscription "Isaac Tod, 1812", the year in which it was cast. This bell was later stolen from the church in the early 1980's, and another bell now stands in it's place.

The original bell subsequently has been recovered.


The Crypts

The Church has several crypts, where families such as the Yule, Hatt, Johnson, Austin and Campbell families were laid to rest.. The Yule and Hatt families were among the founders of Chambly!


Randell Hall

Randell Hall is located right beside the church. It is in the memory of Rev. Cecil Randell, whose hard work and encouragement of the parishioners led to the erection of this building.